In keeping it simple, here are ten reasons to work on your footwork.
- Improve your ability to get to the ball to make each shot.
- Improve your positioning and spacing to hit each shot.
- Maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of your shots.
- Better control to your advantage the position on the court where you hit each shot (e.g. inside the baseline).
- Better control to your advantage where you’re able to hit the ball in relation to the bounce (e.g. on the rise)
- Improve your ability to recover after hitting the shot.
- Minimize your risk of injury with better balance, core stability and weight distribution.
- Improve your ability to transition from defense to offense (and from offense to defense) and from one court position to another.
- Minimize your vulnerability to bad bounces and errant spins.
- Improve your ability to sustain intensity and focus through the length of an entire match.
In my next article, I will outline a plan to improve footwork and the steps necessary to successfully execute a number of key footwork patterns of play.